Tuesday 4 March 2014

Winter Flu: (Chicken) Vegetable Soup


It might have been the Belgian cold weather, the tons of french fries or just a lack of sleep: I am ill. The last two days I worked on a stand-by-mode and chose the pullover that I would wear for work to stay warm and which I can snuggle up into while surfing the metro. After two days of pitying myself I today decided to actively fighting against my little flu, so I eventually dug out an old recipe that I've "invented" (probably not) a few years ago: (Chicken) Vegetable Soup. It is full of all traditional remedies like garlic, ginger, fat and vegetables. If I am not a 100% fit tomorrow again, I don't know what is going on.

Ingredients: 

1 l of water
1 tin of vegetables (I took carrots, peas and beans)
1 small onion 
5 slices of ginger
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons of vegetable stock (or beef or chicken)
some rest of noodles
salt, pepper, oil

Heat some oil in a pot and sweat then the small cut onion and garlic. Deglaze with the water and wait until it boils. Add the noodles and the vegetables three minutes later. Cut the ginger into fine slices, add them to the soup and flavour the soup with the stock. Before serving add some seasoning (be careful, stock is already salty!). 
For the non-vegetarians: While heating the water and noodles, you can roast 1 to 2 chicken breast(s) in a pan aside until it is gold-brown. Then cut it into small pieces and add it to the soup just before serving.

To all the ill people: Get well soon!

Cut onions into little cubes
If you don't have small noodles (as me) just smash normal ones.
Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment